A quick entry to show the work I have done on the legs of all three of these kits. It's an odd feeling to work for an hour or more and then look at what you have accomplished and think it is not too much. Then I have to remind myself that it is because I am switching from kit to kit.
Here is the RX-78-2 Ver 2.0. Bandai packed in an extra E runner with parts molded in clear plastic. The clear is a different kind of plastic than the normal armour parts. It is slightly harder, but still easy to work with. As I am not frame painting I feel a little bit of disappointment because the details that the clear parts allow you to see are rather bland. For example, the knee has a small armour part for a knee cap, over which is placed another armour part. When the joint bends you see the smaller armour part. After taking this picture, I spent some time looking at these legs and thought that clear part over clear part is terribly boring so I went back and replaced the small, knee-cap part with its original white part. Now you can see the white part behind the clear part and the overall effect is much better. (pics later)
And the legs of the GM Ver 2.0. Yup, other than a different piece for the front leg armour these are exactly the same as the RX-78-2's.
The Ver Ka, on the other hand, are quite different. This kit being many years older it is rather simple, and uses screws to assemble the joints. A nice touch was the white tubing that is built into the back of the knee. You can't see it in this picture, but I actually assembled these incorrectly. I stopped here for the day. When I tried to attach the leg armour the next day it wouldn't fit together correctly and caused me a lot of consternation and probably at least 30 minutes of lost time. I will explain in the next entry.
I am not even half way through the project, but finding it enjoyable, although getting up at 6 am on these cold winter mornings isn't the enjoyable part. It's hard to assemble tiny plastic pieces with really cold hands. ;)