With the weather still wet I thought I would work on the fuel canisters for something to do.
I wanted to do something with the two ribs. After pondering for awhile I came upon a plan.
Step 1: mask on either side of each rib.
Step 2: Take my .5 copic marker and colour all over da place.
Step 3: remove masking tape and touch up the marker
Step 3.1: apply decal. I also had to glue the gold part back in because it was moving slightly.
Step 5: Profit
I also decided to decal the shield while I had the decals out and immediately was presented with a dilemma. The big decal for the shield is silver, and I painted the shield gray so it would be hard to see it.
I decided to break the decal up into sections and apply them in different places. But the waterslides were being a bitch and started folding over on themselves. I got the Amuro symbol back into a presentable condition but the 01 was a lost cause. So I opened up the decals that came with the kit. They were stickers (sigh). So I cut the sticker up into sections and placed them around the shield. It is pretty much finished except for a top coat. BUT I will definitely wait for good, dry weather.
This evening was rather warm so I thought I would try to paint the white pieces. I picked up a white lacquer spray at a local hardware store for 198 yen. I wanted to give it a try. If it works well I will save money on paint.
It comes out very thick though and doesn't coat evenly. I sprayed from quite a distance so I wouldn't have build up in some places. I will have to do at least one more coat though.
Some other odds and ends that were accomplished:
Separated and painted the fingers.
Made a pair of eyes and painted them.
Painted all the silver pieces with my Mica silver.
If my parts from Bandai get here soon I may actually finish this thing!